Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time
19 August 2012
Dear Friends in Christ,
Here are several important dates to bear in mind:
1. Voter registration is taking place today in the Macalka Dining Room of Pazdan Hall during breakfast served by the Knights of Columbus. If you live in Greenville County and have not yet registered to vote, you may do so now and still be eligible to vote in the November general election. Participating in public life by casting a vote is a grave moral obligation, and everyone who is eligible should be registered to vote. Moreover, all Catholic voters should be taking time now to investigate the positions of all the candidates on the pressing questions of our day in order to cast a ballot informed by the truth of the Gospel and the teaching of the Church.
2. Also taking place this weekend, in Sacred Heart Hall, is registration for religious education for children in grades one through eight. Children of those ages in our parish who are not enrolled either in a Catholic school or a family home school, must attend our Wednesday evening religious education classes, and registration is required.
3. On the last Wednesday of this month, 29 August, we will not have the usual Holy Hour and Confessions because of the Provincial Assembly of Bishops and Priests which will be meeting in Raleigh.
4. On Wednesday 5 September at 6.30 pm, we will begin this year’s Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA), and everyone who is interested in learning more about Catholicism is welcome to attend. The meetings are in McGrady Hall in the church undercroft, a space which is reached by stairs on the outside of the church.
5. At 6.30 pm on Tuesday 18 September in Gallivan Hall we will unveil the plans for our new Sacred Heart Columbarium that will stand next to the church on the site of the old rectory. Everyone is welcome to attend this meeting and learn more about acquiring a niche in the columbarium so that your mortal remains can rest here on the campus of the church. Plan now to join us on 18 September at 6.30 pm in Gallivan Hall.
6. Finally, here at St. Mary’s school begins tomorrow morning! Welcome back!